This program is an ideal way for applicants to visit and explore Canada. A Temporary Resident Visa (commonly known as “TRV”) and which most people will call a “Visitor Visa” allows you to enter Canada as a visitor. Depending on your country of citizenship or residence, you may need a Visa or an eTA. To check what you would need to enter Canada, click the link here. Certain countries, such as India or China, are required to have a Visitor Visa prior to entry and must apply for this prior to entry while other countries such as Germany or France, are Visa exempt and they will only require an eTA to be able to travel

Additionally, there are different type of TRVs based on the entry type:

  1. Multiple Entry Visa
  2. Single Entry Visa
  3. Transit Visa

As noted by their names, these Visas are based on their entry type. A Multiple Entry allows you to enter and re-enter Canada multiple times within the validity date. A single entry only allows you to enter Canada once while a transit Visa is when a Visa is needed if you will be in Canada for less than 48 hours


It is important to satisfy all of the requirements under this program and as such, your application will be assessed on some of the following common factors:

  • Purpose of visit, which includes length of stay, location of visit, the people/purpose of visit
  • Supporting documents and proof for visit that will support your premise for travel
  • Proof of funds for stay in relation to your travel plan and overall financial situation
  • Ties to your home country with valid documentation, showing attachment to you home
  • Prove that they are criminally and medically admissible to Canada


Being a visitor in Canada allows you to explore this great land, with its natural wonders, diverse culture, rich nature, assorted wildlife, and various climates. Once you arrive in Canada, you are usually able to stay for up to 6 months, and if you wish to stay longer, you can apply for a Visitor Record and extend your stay. Your time a temporary resident can be added to your travel history and will make you look more favorable for immigration purposes, should you wish to apply to Canada again or another country. Travelling to Canada will make it easier for tourists to see the country and see what Canada has to offer.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

They are different documents however there is usually confusion with them.

The Visa is the foil stamp that gets placed in your passport. It shows that you meet the requirements needed to enter Canada. It will have your name, issue date, validity date, and the type, such as Multiple Entry.

An eTA is electronic travel authorization. The ETA is linked to the passport you used to apply and must be shown before you board your flight to Canada. ETAs are valid for 5 years or until your passport expires. You can apply for it online by filling out the form and it is fairly simple.

A Visitor Record is a document that looks similar to a work permit. As visitors can only stay in Canada for 6 months, this allows you to stay in Canada longer based on the visitor record validity date. You will need to leave Canada when the visitor record expires, or you will need to extend your stay.

These are the most integral parts of the application and can affect your whole file. Your reason for wanting to come to Canada should be plausible. For example, people will just say they want to come see a friend who is on a work permit in Canada, while yes this might be the case, but you may have some issues with respect to the processing and this needs to be taken into account. The inviter in Canada should be a Permanent Resident or Canadian. Not specifying any dates or events will make the file not as strong as it is.

One of the most common weak points we see with many people is that they don’t think about ties to home country. You must prove to the officer that you will not overstay in Canada. They will be assessing both your ties to Canada and any ties to your homeland, such as if you have a reason to go back such as family, a job or property.

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. So, if you got a Multiple entry visa that will expire on January 1, 2020, then you can visit Canada until this date. However, each stay can only be up to 6 months. If you enter Canada for the first time on March 1, 2019, you can only stay up to September 1, 2019, not until January 1, 2020, the expiry date on the Visa. Sometimes there is confusion as to the length of the stay as per what is written on the Sticker in the passport.

Each family member must apply for their own individual Visa. They can’t share each other’s Visa. Also, even if you apply together, the officer will issue individual validity dates for each. They might not have all the same expiry dates.


We understand that information can be found on the Internet and there are lots of other consultants or lawyers out there, so things can certainly get confusing very quickly for you. However, our value is in our services and how can simplify a sometimes-complicated process while anticipating and proactively making this whole process easy for you, from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • An affordable service with an individualized payment schedule to suit any budget
  • Comprehensive documents required for the process, including information and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration consultant who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the process, from the application to the arrival in Canada.


A: There is only a LICO (Low Income Cut-off) which is only important if you are applying for a Super Visa and there is no LICO for a tourist visa. However, your funds should make sense for the trip. If you’re staying in Vancouver, a known high cost of living city, for a month, your funds should reflect that. It will depend on your itinerary and purpose of visit as well, which the officer will be considering. If you have a financial supporter, they can provide their documents too. Generally speaking, the more money, the better!

A: Anyone can be an inviter as long as they are a citizen or PR. You will need to explain the purpose of visit and the relationship between you and the inviter. If the inviter is a friend of a friend of your cousin that you have never met in Canada, then your case will be harder to support.

A: While everyone’s case is different, yes, a refusal will be a red mark for any officer reviewing your file, and you should also address all of the issues that were noted in your previous applications and provide documentation to overcome them. Our consultants can discuss your past refusal and the best course of action in a consultation.

A: No. When you apply for the permit, once there is a decision, you will receive a request for the Visa, and it will be issued so you can enter Canada and get the study or work permit.

A: This will depend on your reason for visit and there is no real right answer as this is personalized to the individual. You want to make sure that you provide supporting documentation to back up what you are asserting in your application. For example, if you are coming to visit for a family wedding, you can provide the wedding invitation. Since you have family in Canada, you can show the birth certificates.

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.