Student Immigration

Learn how to Study in Canada

Canada has an exceptional education system that is world class. Student admissions have gone up exponentially and both the schools and the government have taken notice by opening the doors to people who wish to come and study here in Canada. The Canadian government has always seen the student as desirable potential permanent resident. As a student you have been schooled in the Canadian system and taken the time to understand, not only the education system, but Canada as a whole. You will be given the opportunity to work and then apply for Permanent Residence, this has allowed the next generation Canadian to start their Canadian journey through an academic institution.

Click the status that applies to you for further details.

Canada has an exceptional education system that is world class and sees a number of students coming to the country each year to either study in short term courses or long term in post-secondary institutions. In recent years, we have seen academic institutions put value in bringing in International Students as they value the diversity of being a world renowned educational institution with students from around the globe.

Program Requirements

Anyone who wishes to apply for a student visa must be able to:

  • Show that their intention is to study and they will return home after their studies finish.
  • Have met the admission requirements and been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution for study.
  • Be able to prove that they have significant financial support to be able to pay for their schooling and living expenses while a student at the institution.
  • Must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to security of Canada.
  • Must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination.

Program Privileges

In addition to having the opportunity for world class education, a student will be allowed up to 20 hours per week and Full Time during regularly scheduled breaks. This gives students the opportunity to work in the Canadian job market. Those who wish to extend their stay in Canada after their studies conclude can apply for Post Graduate Work Permit and then to be able to apply for Permanent Residence (P.R.) under the Canadian Experience Class Program.

Many Canadian colleges and universities offer work experience as part of their curriculum. Foreign students who wish to participate in a co-op or internship program must apply for a work permit as well as a study permit.

Program Requirements

To qualify for a Co-op Work Permit:

  • The student must have a valid study permit;
  • The intended employment must be essential to complete the program of study;
  • The program of study must be offered by a designated learning institution and be part of the academic, vocational or professional training program offered.

Note: The student must apply prior to expiration of the study permit. Also, applicants are ineligible for this work permit if they are studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL), or they are studying general interest or preparatory courses. To be valid, internship or co-op employment cannot exceed 50% of the total program of study.

Program Privileges

The student can work at a job that is related to their program of study and gain experience in a related field, while attending school while at the same time be compensated for their work experience. Additionally this experience will also allow them to meet the curriculum requirements of their program of study. Once they have completed their studies, the student can apply for a Post-Grad Student Work Permit, to continue their work and residency in Canada.

As there are a record number of students who are choosing to study in Canada, many wish to be able to take that new diploma/degree and use it in the Canadian Work force. As the Canadian government is looking to retain talent that has already been trained locally, there is a Post Graduate work permit available which is a first step to the Canadian Experience Class path to Permanent Residency. The Permit itself can be offered up to the length of the program but with a maximum duration of three (3) years.


The following are the requirements for the Post Graduation Work Permit:

  • Must be 18 years old at the time of application.
  • Must be currently holding a valid study permit.
  • Must have graduated from an approved educational institution where you have studied full-time for at least 8 months prior to the application (900 hours).
  • You must apply for the work permit within 90 days of receiving (written) confirmation that you have met the requirements and are qualified to graduate the program.

It is important to note that you will not be eligible as per the Canadian Government regulations if you:

  • Study in a program that is less than eight months long.
  • Participate in a Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship Program funded by the Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
  • Participate in a Government of Canada Awards Program funded by GAC.
  • Receive funding from the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).
  • Participate in the Equal Opportunity Scholarship, Canada-Chile.
  • Participate in the Canada-China Scholars Exchanges Program.
  • Participate in the Organization of American States Fellowships Program.
  • Participate in a distance learning program from abroad or from within Canada.
  • Have previously been issued a Post-Graduation Work Permit following any other program of study.

Program Privileges

This visa will allow you to work in Canada and gain valuable Canadian experience that will build on what you have studied in school. Ultimately, this is the first step to being able to qualify for Permanent Residence under the very popular Canadian Experience Class (CEC) designation and as such, qualifying for all of the rights and benefits this entails.

As Canada sees the need to ensure that families are together, this visa has been created to allow spouses or partners of people working or studying in Canada to have their spouse or partner with them in Canada and the ability to work. This open work permit is generally granted for up to 2 years to the spouse where the holder of the permit can work for any employer or in any profession (unless it is regulated) without having to go through the process of getting approvals for a particular job.

This is an excellent opportunity for the person who is accompanying their spouse or partner in Canada to gain valuable Canadian work experience while helping with the household finances and not being separated from their family.


The requirements for the Spousal Work Permit are quite straightforward and similar for people who are working or studying here in Canada. If the Applicant wishes to accompany someone who is studying in Canada:

  • Their spouse/partner must be on a valid study permit.
  • Be enrolled and attending school as a full-time student.
  • Be studying at an eligible Post-Secondary Institution.
  • Be medically admissible and have a clean criminal record.

If the Applicant wishes to accompany someone who is working in Canada:

  • Their spouse/partner must be on a valid work permit.
  • Their spouse/partner must be working in a high level skilled job as per Canadian Government Regulations.
  • Their spouse/partner must be have a valid work permit of at least 6 months.

** Please note that this program is also available to holders of Post Graduate Student Work Permits but there are additional requirements.

Program Privileges

This visa allows you to work in Canada and gain valuable Canadian experience while working to support the person who is either working or studying. The biggest advantage to this is that the person who has this work permit can work anywhere and do any type of job without the cumbersome approval processes that are needed for a work specific employment visa. Additionally, it is possible that this may qualify and aid the person is obtaining Permanent Residency should they wish to permanently settle in Canada at a later date.

This program is relatively new in relation to other Canadian Immigration programs. It is based on the well-reasoned premise that if you are already schooled or working in Canada then you are going to be able to settle easily and successfully into Canadian Society. The program seeks to provide a pathway for people who are already working in Canada as a Temporary workers or Students who have graduated from Canadian programs to offer them the option of making Canada a long term permanent home. This program has seen a lot of success in recent years and the government is also expanding this program as it is seen as a great option for New Canadians.

Program Requirements

To be eligible under this program, you will need to be either a Temporary Worker who has a minimum of 2 years full-time work experience in Canada or a student who has graduated from a Canadian Post-Secondary Institution and has worked for at least 1 year full-time in Canada. You will also need to have gained your experience on proper work or study permits and under the allotted time limit to qualify under this program. Additionally, you must be sure to apply within one (1) year of finishing your job in Canada. All applicants under this program will need to have worked in a Managerial; Skilled; or a Technical job and will be required to meet all of the requisite language benchmarks under this program in English or French. It is important to point out that in addition to the requirements listed above; this program is only for people who are planning to live anywhere in Canada except Quebec. Quebec has its own version of this program called the Quebec Experience Class.

Program Privileges

Qualifying under this program will make you a Permanent Resident (PR). As a permanent resident you can do anything that a Canadian citizen can do except vote or join the military. Additionally this will entitle you to all of the other benefits extended to all Canadians and P.R.’s. Additionally after you satisfy the residency requirements as a PR (stay in Canada for 3 out of 4 years) you can then apply for Canadian Citizenship.

Quebec is very unique when it comes to immigration in that it has certain exemptions and allowances that other provinces do not have when it comes to selecting the people that they wish to have settle in their province. It is with this in mind that the Quebec Experience Class program was born as an alternative to the Canadian Experience Class Program, especially since it is not possible to apply under the CEC program should you wish to immigrate to Quebec.

The program seeks to retain workers in the province who have already been working and are settled in the province while at the same time it aims to also retain students who have studied in the province and gained the much needed educational training that will allow them to integrate successfully into the workforce.


To apply under the Quebec Experience Class Program the authorities will look at a number of different aspects for both a students and workers, which are as follows: Quebec Graduate/Future Graduate

  • Be at least 18 years old and intend to settle in Québec to hold a job.
  • Have conformed to the conditions on your stay as a foreign student.
  • Hold an eligible Quebec Diploma or expect to complete your study program within six months of the date on which you submit your application.
  • Have an intermediate level of oral French.
  • Able to provide for your needs and, where applicable, those of your spouse and dependent children included in your application.

Quebec Temporary Worker:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be present in Québec as a temporary worker or in the framework of a youth exchange program and hold legal status as a temporary resident.
  • Hold an eligible job and have held one or more jobs of the same nature for at least 12 of the past 24 months.
  • Have conformed to the conditions of applicable stays as temporary worker.
  • Have an intermediate level knowledge of oral French.
  • Able to provide for your needs and, where applicable, those of your spouse and dependent children included in your application.

Once everything has been approved at the Quebec level, the Federal government will initiate some processes to check security and medical requirements under the Federal mandate.

Program Privileges

Qualifying under this program will make you a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. Although this is a Quebec based program and you need to show reasonable intention to settle in Quebec, you are still free to live and work in the rest of Canada should you wish. As a permanent resident you can do anything that a Canadian citizen can do except vote or join the military. Additionally, this will entitle you to all of the other benefits extended to all Canadians and P.R.’s. After you satisfy the residency requirements as a PR (stay in Canada for 3 out of 4 years) you can then apply for Canadian Citizenship.


Schedule Appointment

Speak with an Immigration Professional TODAY & get all of your questions answered!