spousal work permit
As Canada sees the need to ensure that families are together, this visa has been created to allow spouses/partners of people working/studying in Canada to have their spouse or partner with them in Canada and gives them the ability to work. This is an Open Work Permit and is generally granted for up to 2 years to the spouse where the holder of the permit can work for any employer or in any profession (unless it is regulated) without having to go through the process of getting approvals for a particular job.
This is an excellent opportunity for the person who is accompanying their spouse or partner in Canada to gain valuable Canadian work experience which could qualify them for Permanent Residency, while helping with the household finances. Most importantly this allows families to stay together.
The requirements for the Spousal Work Permit are quite straightforward and similar for people who are working or studying here in Canada. If the Applicant wishes to accompany someone who is studying in Canada:
- Their spouse/partner must be on a valid study permit.
- Be enrolled and attending school as a full-time student.
- Be studying at an eligible Post-Secondary Institution.
- Be medically admissible and have a clean criminal record.
If the Applicant wishes to accompany someone who is working in Canada:
- Their spouse/partner must be on a valid work permit.
- Their spouse/partner must be working in a high level skilled job as per Canadian Government Regulations.
- Their spouse/partner must have a valid work permit of at least 6 months.