Relative Sponsorship



Generally, to be able to sponsor a member under family class, the person to be sponsored will need to fit into one of the following relationships with the principal sponsor(s):

  • A Dependent Child; A Parent; A Grandparent; and/or A Spouse

However, in an effort to keep families together and to show compassion, the government of Canada allows people to sponsor a relative other than those listed above if they are unmarried and have no other surviving relatives. This is generally referred to as the “Lonely Canadian” and exists so that siblings for instance which would have no real pathway would have the ability to be reunited and stay together.


It is important to satisfy all of the requirements under this program and as such the person who wishes to sponsor the relative from overseas must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
    • Note: if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada, you are not eligible to sponsor. If you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you can sponsor but you must show that you plan to live and settle back in Canada with the persons you want to sponsor. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be living abroad.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Provide basic needs for the ones who you are sponsoring and prove you are not receiving any kind of social assistance. There is no income requirement for sponsorships of those who plan to live outside of Quebec.
    • The exception if is:
    • you’re sponsoring a dependent child that has 1 or more dependent children of their own, or
    • you’re sponsoring a spouse or partner that has a dependent child, and their dependent child has 1 or more children of their own.

For eligibility requirements, on Child Sponsorships, please see the page here.

For eligibility requirements, on Spouse/Partner Sponsorships, please see the page here.

You can only sponsor relatives like a brother, sister, aunt or uncle in very specific situations. For more information, please check the link here on the government website


Qualifying under this program will make the applicant a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. As a Permanent Resident, you can do anything that a Canadian Citizen can do, except vote or join the military. As a PR, you are able to travel more freely and enter many countries without needing a Visa. As a Permanent Resident, you can do anything that a Canadian Citizen can do, except vote or join the military. Additionally, this will entitle you to all of the other benefits extended to all Canadians and PR’s, such as universal healthcare coverage, tax benefits and stable job opportunities. Lastly, after you satisfy the residency requirements as a PR, you can then apply for Canadian Citizenship.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

There is usually some confusion as to what a sponsor’s responsibilities are. As a sponsor, you will undertake to give financial support to your relative and any other eligible relatives coming with them. This sponsor begins on the day they become a PR and can last for up to 20 years (depending on how you’re related and the applicant’s age). You may also need to meet an income threshold for sponsorship.

In addition to the eligibility requirements above, there are certain factors that may make you ineligible to be a sponsor. For example, you:

  • Have declared bankruptcy and are not released from it
  • Are not disabled but in receipt of Social Assistance
  • Are currently in prison

Even if you are applying under a new program, any previous refusals, or other applications, even to other countries, besides Canada, can reflect and affect your current files. Officers have access to information systems and GCMS notes. It is highly suggested that you speak to a professional and book a consultation should there be any possible complicated factors in your case.

If there are minimum financial thresholds for your sponsorship, then you will need to see the income required to meet the eligibility requirements. Certain programs will have calculations depending on the family size. These income requirements can also change and fluctuate every year. Make sure you are looking at the current and correct financial information.


We understand that information can be found on the Internet and there are lots of other consultants or lawyers out there, so things can certainly get confusing very quickly for you. However, our value is in our services and how can simplify a sometimes-complicated process while anticipating and proactively making this whole process easy for you, from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • An affordable service with an individualized payment schedule to suit any budget
  • Comprehensive documents required for the process, including information and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration professional who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the process, from the application to the arrival in Canada.


A: We offer file reviews and counseling however, you will firstly need to speak with a professional so they can get more information regarding the case.

A: It is highly suggested that you speak to a professional and book a consultation. We will need to understand at what stage you are at, how far along you are and then we can advise accordingly.  We would need to have an agreement in place to provide any kind of immigration advice.

A: This will depend on the program and sponsorship as it can vary but you will need to submit tax documents, such as the most current Notice of Assessment. You can also provide supporting documents, such as employment documents, bank statements, etc.

A: You can use the Come to Canada tool on the IRCC website for different programs they may be eligible for. If you are truly lost and need more information on different pathways, you can speak to a professional.

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.