The laws of Canada that govern immigration make it a main priority to ensure that families are together and this Visa class allows for people who are citizens of Canada or Permanent Residents (PR) to act as guarantors for their parents or grandparents to visit and stay in Canada for long durations.

As the Parent / Grandparent sponsorship program is currently on hold due to large backlogs, the Canadian government introduced “The Super Visa” to ensure that family members could come and visit for long durations in Canada. The visa is a 10-year visa and will allow people to come and stay upwards of 2 years at a time.


It is important to satisfy all of the requirements under this program and as such the person who wishes to come to Canada on a Parent or Grandparent Super Visa must:

  • Have a letter of invitation from their relative who is either a Canadian Citizen or PR of Canada that includes: promise of financial support for the visit, the list and number of people in the household, and their Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
  • Show their ties to their home country and have valid travel documentation.
  • Be able to show that they have the requisite Private Medical Coverage.
  • Prove that they are criminally and medically admissible to Canada.


This is basically a long duration tourist visa specially designed for parents and grandparents and as such people who are on this visa are not entitled to work, study (unless it is a short-term course) or access any of the social benefit system. It does allow for the family to be together and to be with their children and grandchildren while being part of the household here in Canada.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

Each family member must apply for their own individual Visa. They can’t share each other’s Visa and there are no dependents. Also, even if you apply together, the officer will issue individual validity dates for each. They might not have all the same expiry dates.

The medical insurance must be from a designated insurance company, and you need to provide proof such as a receipt. It must be minimum $100,000 coverage and valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry to Canada. This must be done and paid for before arrival to Canada.

There is commonly confusion as to who must be included in the family size. To calculate your family size, you must include: 1) you, the applicant 2) the child or grandchild inviting you 3) the spouse of the child or grandchild inviting you 4) the dependents of the child or grandchild inviting you 5) any dependents travelling with you and 6) any other person whom the child or grandchild inviting you is currently sponsoring or co-signing for.

You will need to do the calculations depending on the family size, to meet the income requirements. These income requirements can also change and fluctuate every year. Make sure you are looking at the current and correct financial information. The table can be found on the government website link here.


We understand that information can be found on the Internet and there are lots of other consultants or lawyers out there, so things can certainly get confusing very quickly for you. However, our value is in our services and how can simplify a sometimes-complicated process while anticipating and proactively making this whole process easy for you, from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • An affordable service with an individualized payment schedule to suit any budget
  • Comprehensive documents required for the process, including information and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration consultant who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the process, from the application to the arrival in Canada.


A: The super visa allows for up to 2 years of a stay whereas the other Visa only allow stays for up to 6 months. As for the 10-year validity, that will depend, as the officer decides how long a Visa will be valid for, so that can vary.

A: You can show documents such as a birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official documents naming you as parent or grandparent.

A: You can submit tax documents, such as the most current Notice of Assessment, employment documents, pay stubs, T4 for the most current year, bank statements, etc.

A: Yes, you will need to show proof of a completed medical exam and you will need to complete biometrics if you don’t have valid biometrics.

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.