Home Child Care Provider and Home Support Worker Pilot



A fairly new program introduced as a new pathway for caregivers looking to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Like its predecessor program, the In-Home Caregiver program, and the Live-In Caregiver program these pilots are separated into two (2) different streams:

  1. Home Child Care Provider Pilot (NOC 4411) or
  2. Home Support Worker Pilot (NOC 4412)

Being qualified under these programs really is based on the applicant’s qualifying work experience for either NOC code or their ability to demonstrate that they can do the job. It is important to note that there is an annual cap to apply for each pilot, with a quota of 2,750 applications for each of the two streams listed above.


To be eligible under this program, you must have look at your situation as it relates to how you are entering the program. This can be summarized by someone who is already in Canada and with work experience or for someone who is overseas and is starting at the beginning of their journey.

  • Relevant Canadian work experience under (1) one pilot. It can’t be a mix of both:
    (NOC 4411) for Home Child Care
    •  You must care for children under the age of 18 in your own home or in your employer’s home

    •  You don’t need to live in your employer’s home to qualify
    •  Experience as a foster parent doesn’t count|

    (NOC 4412) for Home Support Worker
    •  You must have cared for someone who needs help from a home support worker either in your own home or in your employer’s home

    •  You don’t need to have lived in your employer’s home to qualify
    •  Only home support workers are eligible under NOC 4412
    •  Experience as a housekeeper doesn’t count

For both you must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience in Canada in the 36 months before you apply. It must be 24 months total and does not have to be 24 months total in a row.

  • If you don’t have Canadian work experience, you must have:

Valid job offer from a Canadian employer
•  Must be from an employer who’s not an embassy, high commission, or consulate

•  Full-time work for minimum 30 hours per week
•  Must demonstrate genuine need to hire you

Relevant past work experience or training
•  Provide any work documents or training certificate/diploma (s) that show you can perform the job

Additionally, it is important to note that you must also meet the following program requirements no matter what which stream you are proceeding under, which are as follows:

  • You must meet the minimum results for language (CLB 5) by taking an English/French Test; &
  • You must have completed post-secondary education credential of at least 1 year in Canada or have an Educational Credential Assessment completed that shows the equivalent education.
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.


These pilots are unique in that they allow applicants to have the option to apply, even without qualifying Canadian work experience, in which case they will be granted an open work permit first. This open work permit allows more freedom to acquiring the required work experience, as you will not need an LMIA to work for a Canadian employer that is closed, and which could put vulnerable workers into a less than acceptable work environment. While those with qualifying Canadian work experience, can apply directly for permanent residence. Applicants can also declare and have accompanying family members, who can come to Canada as either workers or students.

As a permanent resident, you will have the same benefits as a Canadian citizen, and you can apply for a Canadian citizenship once you have met the requirements. Permanent residents can live, work and study anywhere in Canada however they cannot vote or join the military. They can enjoy universal healthcare coverage, tax and government benefits, and the freedom to travel to many countries without needing a Visa.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

There is some confusion as to the steps and requirements for these pilots. Firstly, an applicant can only apply for PR if they have the required experience in Canada, which is minimum 2 years total in the 36 months before the application. While overseas applicants can apply, they will need to submit a work permit application along with the PR application. If you are eligible, you will then get an open work permit that lets you work in Canada allowing you to get the required experience. Then you will need to apply with the work experience acquired for the PR.

To meet the requirements, you must meet the minimum score of CLB 5 in all 4 abilities. To see the language test equivalency charts, see the link here. If you get a lower score in at least 1 ability, you must retake the test. Your test results must be less than 2 years old when you apply. While these scores have been adjusted to lower scores, it is advisable that you study for the exam so that you can meet the requirements.

You will need to show a minimum of one year completed Canadian post-secondary education credential or higher. This can be a degree, diploma, certificate, or other proof of your education. If you didn’t go to school in Canada, then you must get an ECA (Educational Credential Assessment), such as WES. If the WES results don’t show exactly one-year post-secondary, then you will need to complete more schooling to qualify or try your luck with another assessment provider.

There is commonly confusion regarding family members and what is required from them, especially whether they are accompanying or non-accompanying. For example, all immediate family members must be declared and complete medicals, even if non accompanying or else they can never be sponsored again in the future under family class and you could open yourself up to a possible misrepresentation situation where, even if you were approved, you could lose your Permanent Residence due to a possible “transgression” that you might have thought was no big deal or was an oversight.

The duties of your work experience must match what is on the NOC code description and for one (1) of the NOC jobs. It must be full-time work experience (at least 30 hours per week) and any work experience as a full-time student doesn’t count. The work experience must be in 1 of the streams and it cannot be a mix of both jobs.


We understand that information can be found on the Internet, but it never tells the “whole story” related to your personalized situation. As well there are lots of consultant, lawyers, and scammers out there that seems to make this more confusing that this actually is. Our value to you is that we simplify and direct this process for you from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • Affordable services with payment plan and terms that are suited for your needs
  • Comprehensive information and tools required for the application process, including documents and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case and situation
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration consultant who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the immigration journey, from the application, the landing and settlement in Canada.


This will depend on your situation and how far in the process you are. You will need to check with any available instruction guides when it comes to updating your information, as the job offer is a vital part of the application for those without qualifying Canadian work experience.

We do not provide jobs and can’t provide employers with job offers in Canada. We help provide immigration guidance and consultations for those who want to immigrate to Canada.

You will need to provide any documents as proof of relevant work experience, such as employment letters, pay stubs/slips, contracts, educational credentials, licenses, or diploma/degrees.

Yes, it would affect your file as you must prove your qualifying work experience and the employment letter must have specific information on it, such as main duties and period of employment. Our consultants would be happy to discuss your situation and provide possible pathways that may be available to work around this.

It is up to you whether your family will accompany you to Canada. Even if they are non-accompanying, they will still need to provide certain information such as medical exams. As for any issues, this will be unique to your case, especially if this involves admissibility issues relating to medical or security. It is highly suggested that you speak to a consultant and book a consultation.

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.