Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry)

Federal Skilled Worker


This program has been one of the more popular Immigration Programs and is a mainstay of the Immigration System. It is known to be one of the quickest and easiest routes to settle into Canada. The program has undergone many revisions and restrictions over the years and is now part of the Express Entry Application System. This program has been popular for those looking to settle into Canada and will continue in popularity with good reason, while being the main route for skilled workers to immigrate.


It is important to satisfy all the requirements under the program as with any immigration program. Currently, to be eligible you must have “skilled work experience” and your work experience must be:

  • At least one year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous full-time or an equal amount in part-time,
  • Paid work (volunteer work and unpaid internships do not count),
  • In the same job,
  • Within the last 10 years, &
  • Considered Skilled Work Experience under the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

If you meet all the conditions set out in the minimum requirements, your application will be assessed based on the selection factors in the Federal Skilled Worker Point’s Grid which looks at the following factors.

  • Your skills in English and/or French (Canada’s two official languages),
  • Your education,
  • Your work experience,
  • Your age,
  • Whether you have a valid job offer, and
  • Your adaptability (how well you are likely to settle here)

Additionally, as this program falls under the Express Entry application system it is important to note that there are other requirements with respect to the CRS (Comprehensive Ranking Scores) that will need to be met to be successful.


Qualifying under this program will make you a Permanent Resident (PR) of Canada. As a Permanent Resident, you can do anything that a Canadian Citizen can do, except vote or join the military. As a PR, you can travel more freely and enter many countries without needing a Visa. Additionally, this will entitle you to all the other benefits extended to all Canadians and PR’s, such as universal healthcare coverage, tax benefits and stable job opportunities. Lastly, after you satisfy the residency requirements as a PR, you can then apply for Canadian Citizenship.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

As per the Express Entry completeness check, your documents and information must adhere to these requirements. These are what the officer will be considering when they review your application. There are some areas that you must pay particular attention to as one missed point will lead to a negative decision.

It can be for some! But everyone’s case is different and even if you think you’re smart, it is your responsibility as the applicant to prove why you meet the PR requirements. The immigration process has so many factors that can affect how it goes and many of these factors are out of your control. But our services and guidance allow you to maximize your options and gain knowledge to have the strongest case possible.

Selecting the incorrect NOC code for your work experience can result in a refusal. It is very important that you have the correct NOC code for your qualifying work experience that shows it is skilled work. In fact, this is one of the most important factors for any economic immigration application and interpreting the NOC and your job may be confusing as for some they might find that they can not find their job or that it’s common to find that you might qualify under 2-3 different NOCs depending on your duties.

There is commonly confusion regarding family members and what is required from them, especially whether they are accompanying or non accompanying. For example, all immediate family members must be declared and complete medicals, even if non accompanying or else they can never be sponsored again in the future under family class and you could open yourself up to a possible misrepresentation situation where, even if you were approved, you could lose your Permanent Residence due to a possible “transgression” that you might have thought was no big deal or was an oversight.

The proof of funds for FSW must be met during the application submission and as they increase over the years. You will need to prove that you have the funds, and they must stay constant from the time you applied to when you do the landing in Canada. Don’t go spending all your money right after you hit Submit!


We understand that information can be found on the Internet, but it never tells the “whole story” related to your personalized situation. As well there are lots of consultant, lawyers, and scammers out there that seems to make this more confusing that this actually is. Our value to you is that we simplify and direct this process for you from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case and situation
  • Comprehensive documents and information at every stage of the process, including information and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Affordable service with varying payment terms for the EE profile
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration consultant who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the immigration journey, from the application, the landing and settlement in Canada.


The settlement funds will depend on the size of the family and the low income cut off (LICO) which change and fluctuate every year. The amount you need will be based on the family size calculations which must include:

    • The applicant
    • The spouse or common-law partner
    • Applicant’s dependent children and spouse/partner’s dependent children

You will need to include all dependent family members in the calculations, even if they are not accompanying you to Canada or if they are already Canadian citizens or PR.

You will need to provide a signed employment confirmation letter for your qualifying work experience with the necessary information, which includes the correct NOC code, job title, hours of work per week, salary, and job duties, etc.

This will depend on your situation and a variety of factors as listed above. We will be happy to discuss what options are available for you to increase your points as depending on the timing of the application and your situation there may be better pathways available for you. Click Here to book a Consultation

This will depend on whether your primary language is English or French. You must get a minimum level of CLB 7 or NCLC 7 in all 4 language areas (speaking, writing, reading and listening). If you want to get points for the 2nd official language, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 or NCLC 5 in all 4 language areas. Note that your language test must be valid, and the results were taken within 2 years of file submission.

NOCs can be tricky, and the NOC code is integral to the application as you must prove your work experience is a skilled job (NOC 0, A or B) to meet the requirements. Our consultants can discuss your work experience and the appropriate NOC for your position. Click Here to book a Consultation

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.