With its thriving economy and diverse population, Canada is a prime destination for international businessmen and investors who want to conduct or grow their business relationships in Canada. The government of Canada offers a Visa specifically to allow these business visitors to enter the country to be able to conduct their business affairs while not entering the Canadian job Market.

Depending on your country of citizenship or residence, you may need a Visa or an eTA. To check what you would need to enter Canada, click the link here. Certain countries, such as India or China, are Visa required. While other countries such as Germany or France, are Visa exempt.


Business visitors must provide:

  • Proof that their main source of income and their main place of business are outside Canada
  • A passport/Travel Document that is valid for the entire stay and which guarantees re-entry to their country of origin
  • Proof you do not plan to enter the Canadian labor market
  • Supporting documents and proof for visit that will support your premise for travel
  • Proof of funds for stay in relation to your travel plan and overall financial situation
  • Ties to your home country with valid documentation, showing attachment to you home
  • Prove that they are criminally and medically admissible to Canada


This Visa allows you to enter and explore Canada without a work permit to conduct your business activities. You can see and stay in the country for 6 months and it is possible to extend your stay, to further and continue business endeavors. If you wish to stay longer, you can apply for a Visitor Record inland to extend or you can simply exit and re-enter, but you should be able to show the reason and length of stay as this may pose some questions as to the bona fides of your intent. Travelling to Canada allows business visitors to make more informed business decisions and grow the Canadian economy.


While everyone’s case and circumstances are different, there are some common traps, pitfalls, and misconceptions when it comes to applying under this program. Here are some general and common ones we have experienced and encountered throughout the years:

There is usually confusion as to what a business visitor can do if they can’t work or get paid while they are here in Canada. Example of what visitors can do include:

  • Training employees of a Canadian sector of a company, such as if they were work for the foreign branch
  • Be a Trainee that is trained by Canadian counterparts if you work for a branch overseas
  • Buying, ordering, or dealing with Canadian goods or services

Attending business meetings, conferences, conventions or fairs in Canada.

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada. So, if you got a Multiple entry visa that will expire on January 1, 2020, then you can visit Canada until this date. However, each stay can only be up to 6 months. If you enter Canada for the first time on March 1, 2019, you can only stay up to September 1, 2019, not until January 1, 2020, the expiry date on the Visa. Sometimes there is confusion as to the length of the stay as per what is written on the Sticker in the passport.

Some applicants may be self-employed and want to apply for a business visa to explore new opportunities in Canada. When it comes to self-employment, it might be a little trickier, depending on your case and providing proof. It is suggested that you speak with a consultant in a consultation.

A very important factor is showing proof that you will not enter the Canadian labor market while you are conducting business matters. Even if you are training workers or buying goods/services, you must provide evidence to the officer that you will not be breaching any terms of your Visa or that you will not overstay. This is a key component to approval for this status.


We understand that information can be found on the Internet and there are lots of other consultants or lawyers out there, so things can certainly get confusing very quickly for you. However, our value is in our services and how can simplify a sometimes-complicated process while anticipating and proactively making this whole process easy for you, from the start to the end of your immigration journey. We will guide you and provide:

  • An affordable service with an individualized payment schedule to suit any budget
  • Comprehensive documents required for the process, including information and tips that can’t be found on the IRCC website
  • Personalized immigration advice and solutions that are tailored to your case
  • Collaboration with a licensed immigration consultant who will communicate and represent your case on your behalf
  • Support and Assistance through every stage of the process, from the application to the arrival in Canada.


A: You can’t enter the Canadian labor market as a business visitor, but instead you would need to apply and be on a work permit. While you can’t enter or be paid in the Canadian labor market, it is quite common and required that foreign companies will pay the business visitor in their home country as a normal part of their renumeration.

A: This will depend on your business visit. Examples can include incorporation documents, business licenses, conference invitations, emails regarding the event, training plans, etc.

A: There is only a LICO (Low Income Cut-off) which is only important if you are applying for a Super Visa and there is no LICO for a tourist visa. However, your funds should make sense for the trip. If you’re staying in Vancouver, a known high cost of living city, for a month, your funds should reflect that. It will depend on your itinerary and purpose of visit as well, which the officer will be considering. If you have a financial supporter, they can provide their documents too. Generally speaking, the more money, the better!

A: This will depend on your situation and who is available for contact. You can provide a signed letter with contact details to an individual at the business who is involved and has knowledge of the trip details. Should they be questioned, they are able to provide information. You can also provide supporting documents for the file to support the inviter letter.

A: Yes, you can use this Visa as this is still valid. However, you will need to provide supporting documents for your business visit.

Not Sure Where To Start?

Tell us more about your unique situation and we’ll help get your Immigration journey to Canada started.